61% of Data Breaches a Result of Malicious Intent
Other findings from the report include the following:
• The 225 total breaches represent more than 6 million affected individuals.
• 43 states, Washington, D.C., and Puerto Rico, have experienced at least one data breach.
• Approximately 27,000 individuals are affected by one breach.
• 61 percent of breaches stem from malicious intent.
The final rule on breach notifications requires all breaches involving protected patient health information to be reported to the Department of Health & Human services. If the breach affects more than 500 patients, the responsible entity must report the breach to HHS no later than 60 days after the discovery of the breach. Breaches affecting less than 500 patients only need to be reported on an annual basis.
Read the report about data breaches (pdf).
- UIHC Fires Three Hospital Employees After Inappropriate Data Breach
- 5 Key Considerations for Hospital to Ensure Mobile Device Security
- Data Breach Insurance Emerges for Physician Practices
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2015. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
To receive the latest hospital and health system business and legal news and analysis from Becker's Hospital Review, sign-up for the free Becker's Hospital Review E-weekly by clicking here.